Thursday, November 26, 2015

Creating Their Mark

If you are looking for a quick decor fix, you have limited funds and you want something that will last forever then hand prints or foot prints of your children is the answer.

Nearly 18 years ago I wanted just that.  I had some paper left over from making our wedding invitations, an old ink pad (yes just like the ones we used at school many years ago with real ink stamps), some old picture frames and my two year old twin daughters Aaliyah and Jayden.

The process was pretty easy and best of all my daughters had lots of fun doing them.  I think the funniest part was managing them so they didn’t run all over the wooden floor boards with ink on their feet.  :-)  Thinking back now, our old Navy house would've looked amazing had the floor boards been whitewashed with their ink footprints on the floor.

These pieces have travelled with us through every home we have lived in and although the girls have changed them slightly by painting the frames, they sit pride of place in both their rooms.  The date on the prints represents the date the prints were captured.




At first the prints were meant as a quick decor fix, but nearly 18 years later I find myself reflecting on my decision to do these pieces and how they represent so much more now.  They represent my legacy.  My past, present and future.  Those people who have influenced me throughout my life, especially those who have left this life but continue to guide me and my family.  They are a reminder of my daughters achievements and the journey they have travelled.  More importantly and what's more exciting, they ask what successes await my daughters and how as a whanau we will enjoy them somehow, somewhere, and always together.

Happy living peeps!



No comments:

Post a Comment