Friday, June 27, 2014

The Magic Of Coconut Oil

Last month I blogged about THE BEAUTY OF BAKING SODA.  This month my beauty tip is all about the magic of coconut oil.  Not only is it fabulous to cook with (in all kinds of ways I might add), it's also wonderful for your skin. 

Rule # 1 - Coconut oil is extracted directly from the coconut flesh or kernel, meaning it's natural and is an essential fatty acid.  Not like other oils such as vegetable oil which contains more chemicals than vegetables if at all which tends to have a chemical reaction to other foods that are digested.

Rule # 2 - Coconut oil is the best oil to cook with as its molecular structure remains the same when heated unlike other good oils like olive oil, which changes dramatically when heated resulting in it being less healthier.

Rule # 3 - Coconut oil has 0% preservatives which means when you digest the oil or apply it to your body, you are absorbing nothing but goodness.

Rule # 4 - It's an all in one skin care product, hair care product and food item, which means you'll save money by not buying all the other skin, conditioner,  make up or oil products that are on the market.

The best way I use my coconut oil (apart from cooking) is as a moisturiser.  I simply apply it as I would any other moisturiser after my bath or shower making sure not to use too much.  The oil should absorb into the skin as opposed to feeling oily and wet.

My daughter Jayden loves to use the oil as a conditioner.  She applies it's to her hair, leaves it in overnight, then washes her hairs as per normal.  It makes your hair feel wonderful.

Every christmas I also make a sugar scrub using coconut oil, sugar and essential oils and give them away to friends and family as gifts.  These are applied to the body in the shower and leaves your skin feeling wonderfully soft and smelling delicious.  This xmas a good friend Rewa decided to eat the sugar scrub thinking it was some new recipe.  Fair to say, it tasted a little funky because of the spearmint oil, but it did leave his mouth feeling minty fresh :-)




Maybe one day I'll blog about the goodness of coconuts as a whole, because it really is a power product.  It's just a pity the climate in NZ doesn't allow me to grow coconuts in my garden, or else I'd be having coconut oil, coconut water, coconut cream, coconut milk, coconut flesh all at my finger tips.  

Until then my biggest problem is ensuring the jar of coconut oil in the bathroom and the jar in the kitchen doesn't get mixed up.

Happy living people.




No comments:

Post a Comment