Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mothers Day!!

What a wonderful day spent with my beautiful family on mothers day.  My daughters cooked me a lovely light breakfast, followed by a trip to collect my fabulous mum to have coffee and cake before a little quick shopping then off to Mavis & Co for a high tea with my sisters and nieces that afternoon.

Over the years I have enjoyed spending this day with my family, but this year was particularly important as my beautiful grandmother has fallen ill and needs 24/7 care now.  She is 85 years old and lives with my mum full time and for all the females to spend the day together, creating memories and being grateful for each other was something we all looked forward too. 

Nan is the matriarch of our family and her illness has made me realise just how mortal we are on this earth and how important it is to hold on to ones independance for as long as you are able.  This has always been something extremely important to nan, and she has fought for this all her life.  It's sad how age and illness begins to define you to a point where your independence becomes more and more restricted.

My father constantly reminds me that there are two most important things in life for everyone.  The first is your health.  If you look after your health then the world is your oyster.  When you are young and invincible you have an opinion that there's plenty of time to sort that all out, but now I am older, I see the relevance in my fathers theory.

The second most important thing is your family.  Friends and even partners may come and go, but your family will always be there to support you no matter what.  This could not be more true in today's instance with my beautiful nan.  Although her health is deteriorating, her family are constantly there supporting her through this time in her life.

My nan overlooking the Ponderosa nearl 18 months ago.
Unfortunately, nan recieved an invitation to visit Taranaki to spend the weekend with her son and his family. Well, unfortunate for me as she wasn't able to enjoy the day planned .. (which I wasn't too happy about), but extremely fortunate for my uncle and his family as they got to spend quality time with other members of her family. Something Nan isn't able to do as often as she would like. I know I must learn to share her, although in these days, I'm finding it a little difficult to do so.


High tea on Mothers Day
The high tea was absolutely wonderful, the food was amazing but the company was exquiste.

Have a wonderful day people!!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment