Friday, January 25, 2013

Is New Better Than Old?

 Is new better than old?  That's a question I've been pondering for a while now.  Many people have the view that if you buy something new then it will last.  But will it?  I'm not sold on that philosophy at all.

A few weeks back I enjoyed lunch with my beautiful sister and she asked me to go to view some furniture in a pretty well known shop in town.  A shop I must admit - I LOVE LOVE LOVE! - as their products would definitely suit the homestead on the ponderosa. 

Excited we heading off, however within 5 minutes of arriving, I found my excitment quickly disappearing when the realisation hit me "I'm not paying $350 for that patio furniture, when I can produce something similar for a fraction of the price".  Much to my sisters disgust, she knew I was right and lucky for her that day she didn't see anything in the shop she really wanted, let alone needed.

I went home that afternoon inspired to produce something for the front veranda - A NEW PATIO SET.  Materials, two old chairs I picked up at the 2nd hand shop for $10 (in fact I recieved 4) and an old table that's been with me for at least 10 years.





I got to work sanding back the chairs and preparing them for a new coat of paint - BLACK. (Actually I was indecisive on the colour for at least 30 mins ... black or white or grey?  Aaaah it's only paint and when or if I get sick of the colour I can just simply change it).  






I am so pleased with the finished result and cost less than $40.  So is new better than old?  I'd like to say in this case, it's a bit of both ... what I had was old, but what I ended up with is something new.


Happy living guys.



No comments:

Post a Comment