Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Spring Daffodils

There are many things that signify spring is in the air but nothing more so than the appearance of daffodils.  They are undoubtedly the most popular of spring bulbs and are extremely easy to grow.  The added bonus is they don't need a lot of care once they are planted and as long as the soil is moist in the winter and dry in the summer they don't need to be lifted after every season.  (Unlike Tulips .. but that's another story).

I love daffodils and I've always wanted to have a mass planting of these beautiful flowers. Well ...... back in February I decided to make it a reality.  I ordered 400 bulbs from Canterbury and went to work planting them over a two week period during May.  

I started on one side of the driveway being careful not to plant either too close to the drive or an area that I knew my husband was planning to dig up to make way for his new garage/shed/workshop/man cave.

The experience was interesting with both my daughters and husband helping me in different occasions, but I was determined to get it finished.

Daffodils are also a symbol of cancer awareness through the NZ cancer society.  The daffodils bright yellow bloom reminds us of the joys the new spring season will bring therefore represents the hope there is for the 1 in 3 New Zealanders affected by cancer.

One thing I am extremely proud of is the fact that this is my contribution to raising awareness of cancer.  I have many whanau (family) who have suffered by this hideous disease and many who have beaten it and won.  My daffodils is a remembrance of their strength and love.


The results look amazing, but fair to say I have a few more bulbs to plant in order to get the absolute mass planting I am really looking for, so this is a definite work in progress.




Our driveway in the autumn season (May)


The 400 bulbs ready to be planted

And the finished product in late winter (August)









I don't think the pictures do the daffodils justice, but I'm so pleased with the results of the first season.

The cancer society hold an event every year to fundraise for the awareness.  This event is called "daffodil day".  If you'd like to contribute financially go to www.daffodilday.org.nz

Another way you can raise awareness is by planting some daffodils next season if you are able.  If not in mass like this, then try them in a pot on your porch, or on your kitchen table.  The results will look great!!!

Happy living people

No comments:

Post a Comment